Data Science is currently marketed as a skill/career that anyone can learn. If you can write code you can become a Data Scientist.
Ok, that is an argument for another day. However, because of this marketing and hype surrounding AI (Artificial Intelligence ), it is no surprise that I have crossed paths with Data Scientists coming from various backgrounds and we all have something different to offer. So what types of Data Scientist have I met?
- The one that is good at mathematics and can create new models (not that there is any time for that), so genuinely this person is undervalued and can do so much more but the company won’t let them. The academic.
- The one that likes talking about the math but does not necessarily understand it but people believe them anyways. He/she also keeps up to date with the latest AI news. They have an abundance of useless knowledge that assist with pulling them out of tricky situations. They will often spend most of their time trying to apply complex models to problems and never actually get around to any problem solving. But it is OK, he/she is a genius. Elegance before function. The top performer.
- The doer, the one that never ask questions, frequently have their earphones on and believe whatever work his/her boss throws at them is Data Science. They seldom care as long as they believe they are adding value to the business and getting paid adequately for it.
- Then you get the one that most companies actually want. They never create any models of their own but can go to any data science github repo, watch a youtube video and implement whatever it is that they find in a short space of time. They add a lot of value to the business. The generalist.
- The one that is just starting to explore data science, the enthusiast who is just yoloing and this can then manifest into one of two future forms:
- They work hard, acquire the skills and eventually move to a suited role.
- They work for a company that has no idea what Data Science is and the little that they know is enough to make this person the new “Head” of machine learning. This person forever remains the enthusiast.
So what type of Data Scientist do you think I am? The type that thinks they are the only “real” Data Scientist.
Hope you enjoyed this post! Please leave a comment if you have come across any other types I would love to hear.